A 'Dead Man's Penny' - commemorative medal presented to families of soldiers who died during the First World War.These commemorative medals were presented to the next-of-kin of the men and women who died in action in the Great War (1914-18). The medal was commonly known as the 'Dead Man's Penny'. The medal was made of brass and measured approximately four and a half inches in diameter. Most of the medals were manufactured at Woolwich arsenal (London). In addition to this plaque or medal, families of the bereaved would also have received an illuminated scroll in full colour and a printed letter from Buckingham Palace bearing the signature of the King. The plaque was designed by Edward Carter Preston (1885-1965), a medallist/sculptor of Liverpool, who won a national competition to design the memorial plaque.