is proud to present
This Magnificent Vintage Anglo Indian Foliate Carved Rosewood Octagonal Folding Table
Carved folding tables were made in the far east in the 19th and early 20th centuries for military officers while on campaign. The top is notched into the octagonal, hinged base. The top can be easily removed and the hinged, paneled screen base can be folded into a flat rectangle for easy portability.
• This table is completely carved over every inch of its surface.
• The table top is composed of a single piece of rosewood, 18 ¼” in diameter, and intricately carved into a multifoil, foliate design.
• Eight pieces of rosewood are affixed with screws to the underside of the top to compose an octagonal apron, which allows it to fit snugly into the base.
• The base is composed of eight hinged panels.
• Each panel is composed of a frame of two stiles of carved rosewood, connected by three carved rosewood rails.
• Each base panel has a quatrefoil filigree carved screen inset into the upper frame.
• An ogee arched filigree screen is inset into the lower frame of each of the 8 base panels.
• Top is 18 ¼” in diameter.
• Height of table top is 19 ½” from floor.
• The table top has slightly warped and cracked. Old repairs can be observed. See photographs of table top.
• The filigreed, pierced screens of the base have been damaged over the years. 2 of the upper screens and one of the lower screens have suffered losses of several inches in diameter. (See photos). Minor losses are evident in other screens.
This carved table may be picked up in Boylston, MA.
If shipping is required, shipping via FedEx will be $33.00.
All items are sold "as is" and all sales are final. This is an antique piece of furniture; small nicks and scratches are part of the beauty of an antique and are not described unless significant.
Please ask any questions prior to offering to purchase.