An important piece of history and a fine addition to any executive office. This extraordinary terrestrial globe, measuring an impressive 30 inches in diameter, was crafted by the firm W. & A.K. Johnston, Ltd., Great Britain in 1912. W. & A.K. Johnston was among the most important figures in the production of globes in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Although a British manufacturer, they were highly influential in producing globes to be sold in America under the Johnston name, or under the name of American globe makers and school supply houses. William (1802-1888) and Alexander Keith (1804-1871) Johnston began as apprentices to the Scottish globe maker and publisher James Kirkwood (1774-1824). After a fire at the Kirkwood's Edinburgh workshop, they set up their own workshop. Their largest globe was a 30-inch diameter physical terrestrial globe which won a number of medals at the Great Exhibition. Surprisingly, the surface of a globe 30 inches is 625% greater than that of a more typical 12 inch model. They received a royal appointment to Queen Victoria; hence the cartouche of their globes is surmounted by the royal coat of arms. W. & A.K. Johnston's business was continued well into the early 20th century with strategic business relationships with most of the major American Chicago globe makers including A.H. Andrews, Rand McNally, Weber Costello, and A.J. Nystrom. These American globe makers and school supply houses often sold Johnston globes with an over-label pasted over the Johnston label. In that case, the royal coat of arms that surmounted the round cartouche often still showed. Johnston's globes were very popular for school use in the United States, and were also exported to America for home libraries.
Item ID: P1150024
Antique Paper Items