• Maker: London / probably early James Stiff
• Item: Toby Jug
• Circa: 1840/42
• Origin: UK
• Material: Salt Glaze
• Dimensions: 11 inches / 28cm approx
• Rarity: Very Rare
• Condition: Very good
• Price: £900 (sterling) /$1,500 approx
• Short History of James Stiff:
This firm was established in Lambeth by the potter James Stiff (1808-97) after his sons William and Ebenezer joined him in a partnership in 1863. They produced some fine salt glazed stoneware similar in style and look to those made by the Doulton and Fulham potteries.
James Stiff (1808-97) was born in Rougham, Suffolk the son of Robert Stiff, a workhouse master and farmer. After working as a plasterers assistant he moved to London in 1826 to be apprenticed at the Coade Stone Manufactory.
By 1830 he was working for Doulton and Watts as a mould maker and in 1842 struck out on his own making water filters at a premises in Ferry Street, Lambeth. From there he moved to 39 High Street, and was sufficiently successful to be able to form the partnership with his sons in 1863.
icollect, London, UNITED KINGDOM
• We specialize in rare and novelty antiques but also cater for all tastes and price ranges.
• If you are unsure about any item or would like further details please contact us first, we respond to all E-Mails within 24 hours unless otherwise stated (i.e. if we are away and uncertain about having internet access available). We are always pleased to assist.
• Buy with confidence we are a customer orientated company, and believe in rewarding regular clients who have supported us.
• Every effort is made regarding the accuracy of descriptions, in the unlikely event that a description is wrong we will take responsibility and offer a full refund or settlement; if you are browsing and observe an item with an in-accurate description then please notify us, it will be received with thanks and be amended ASAP. We offer full guarantees on all items sold as being described accurately.
• We offer an exceptional customer services policy and will do everything possible to resolve any issues. In the event that a client has simply changed their mind after receiving their purchase we will offer a full refund (less full postage / insurance) only after the item has been returned in good / unchanged condition.
• Our new animated website will be launched early in the New Year
• Items are ready to be dispatched usually within 24hrs of cleared payment
• Prices given do not include Shipping and insurance
Antique Porcelain & Pottery