•Item: A very fine Claret/Wine Jug
•Origin: London, UK
•Material: Sterling Silver
•Silversmith: Samuel Smily of the Goldsmiths Alliance Limited
•Marks: Full London assay marks and smithsmith initials on neck of jug, no mark on contemporary stopper
•Dimensions: 13.5inches / 34cm approx
•Condition: Very Good
•Rarity: Probably unique
•Quality: Very fine and good grade silver
•Price: £3,300 (sterling) / $5,335 approx
Note: This is a very fine and top quality piece of silver with casting to the handle, hand engravings, fluting and gadrooning, of very good form.
It bears the marks of Samuel Smily, of the Goldsmiths Alliance Limited, which was formed by A B Savory & Sons and T C Savory & Co. Smily was the manager (succeeding his father William Smily) of Savory & Sons until 1880.
Although this jug was finished and marketed by Goldsmiths Alliance Ltd. The latter firm was established in 1751 as Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Alliance Ltd., and changed its name in 1880. It is said to have achieved a royal appointment from the queen and had a large shop on Regent Street. It is said to have exhibited at numerous exhibitions, including the Fisheries Exhibition in 1883, the Inventions Exhibition in 1885, the Indian and Colonial Exhibition in 1886, the International Expositions of Paris in 1889, Chicago in 1893, California in 1894, and Paris in 1900 where it won the Grand Prix.
icollect, London, UNITED KINGDOM
• We specialize in rare and novelty antiques but also cater for all tastes and price ranges.
• If you are unsure about any item or would like further details please contact us first, we respond to all E-Mails within 24 hours unless otherwise stated (i.e. if we are away and uncertain about having internet access available). We are always pleased to assist.
• Buy with confidence we are a customer orientated company, and believe in rewarding regular clients who have supported us.
• Every effort is made regarding the accuracy of descriptions, in the unlikely event that a description is wrong we will take responsibility and offer a full refund or settlement; if you are browsing and observe an item with an in-accurate description then please notify us, it will be received with thanks and be amended ASAP. We offer full guarantees on all items sold as being described accurately.
• We offer an exceptional customer services policy and will do everything possible to resolve any issues. In the event that a client has simply changed their mind after receiving their purchase we will offer a full refund (less full postage / insurance) only after the item has been returned in good / unchanged condition.
• Our new animated website will be launched early in the New Year
• Items are ready to be dispatched usually within 24hrs of cleared payment
• Prices given do not include Shipping and insurance
Antique Sterling Silver