•Type: Nanking Cargo
•Item: Tea Bowl and Saucer
•Mark: Christies Amsterdam paper Label
•Dimensions: saucer: 4.5 inches / 12cm approx
•Quality: Very good
•Price: £240 / $390 approx
•Reference: Christies Amsterdam April 1986
•Historical Note: Nanking Cargo
The Dutch East Indiaman, Geldermalsen under the 33 year old captain Jan Diederik Morel was barely 5 years old when she ran aground on the reefs of Geldria’s Droogte, (The Admiral Stellingwerf Reef), which hides just below the surface of the sea some 12 miles from the island of Bintan in the South China Sea, very near to what is Singapore today, and sank January 3, 1752. In 1986 Michael Hatcher discovered the sunken ship and her treasure.
The Geldermalsen held over 150,000 pieces of porcelain and 147 pieces of gold, of which 125 were recovered. Never before had such a complete cargo of porcelain been recovered from a VOC (Dutch East India Company) wreck. The porcelain and gold cargo was sold at Christie's in Amsterdam as the "Nanking Cargo" in 1986.
icollect, London, UNITED KINGDOM
• We specialize in rare and novelty antiques but also cater for all tastes and price ranges.
• If you are unsure about any item or would like further details please contact us first, we respond to all E-Mails within 24 hours unless otherwise stated (i.e. if we are away and uncertain about having internet access available). We are always pleased to assist.
• Buy with confidence we are a customer orientated company, and believe in rewarding regular clients who have supported us.
• Every effort is made regarding the accuracy of descriptions, in the unlikely event that a description is wrong we will take responsibility and offer a full refund or settlement; if you are browsing and observe an item with an in-accurate description then please notify us, it will be received with thanks and be amended ASAP. We offer full guarantees on all items sold as being described accurately.
• We offer an exceptional customer services policy and will do everything possible to resolve any issues. In the event that a client has simply changed their mind after receiving their purchase we will offer a full refund (less full postage / insurance) only after the item has been returned in good / unchanged condition.
• Our new animated website will be launched early in the New Year
• Items are ready to be dispatched usually within 24hrs of cleared payment
• Prices given do not include Shipping and insurance
Asian Porcelain & Pottery