Antique Collectibles, New Haven Tambour No. 56
Condition. When starting it up, the clock has to
doesn't make much sound, but a tapping noise. I
shown in picture above, this antique clock comes
with the original key, and pendulum. Clocks body
is real wood.
History of New Haven Clocks:
Incorporated February 7, 1853, the New Haven Clock Company
was formed by clockmaker Hiram Camp and others to supply
clock movements to the Jerome Manufacturing Company, then
the largest clockmaking operation in the world. Three years
later, the Jerome firm went bankrupt and in April of 1856 the
New Haven Clock Company raised an additional $20,000 and
purchased the Jerome operation.
By 1860, the firm employed 300 men and 15 women and was
producing about 170,000 clocks a year. In 1866, the old Jerome
built which survives today with many additions. Their working
force had increased to 460 men, 52 women and 88 children by
1880 and nearly half a million dollars worth of clocks were
produced that year. Non jeweled pocket watches were added to
the line that year and were offered until the 1950's.
New Haven had trade connections with Jerome & Co. Ltd., an
English sales firm which continued business independently
after the bankruptcy of the Jerome Manufacturing Company in
1856. By the 1870's the firm was using the trademark "Jerome
& Co." on some of their products and purchased the entire
English operation in 1904.
For years the Directors of the New Haven operation had drained
the resources of the company with large dividends and by 1890
they were in serious financial condition. Hiram Camp (1811
1892), founder and long time president, resigned as president
in September, 1891 and his successor Samuel A. Galpin
struggled to keep the firm afloat. They nearly went into
bankruptcy in 1894 but raised enough money to continue until
March of 1897 when the firm was reorganized.
In 1902 leadership of the firm passed to Walter C. Camp who is
better known as the "father of American football." However,
Camp modernized the watch-manufacturing department in
1904, resulting in cheaper production costs, and had
wristwatches added to the line in 1915. Camp was succeeded in
1923 by Edwin P. Root.
When Richard H. Whitehead succeeded Root as president of
This worsened when the Great Depression hit in November of
that year but Whitehead's able leadership kept the firm
operating with growing profitability through the time of World
War II. From 1943 through 1945, the firm was involved almost
totally in manufacturing war products.
In March of 1946, the firm resumed clock and watch
manufacture and was reorganized as the New Haven Clock and
Watch Company. That year it fell into the control of foreign
inventors involved with Swiss watchmaking interests.
Whitehead resigned as president and thereafter the firm
deteriorated steadily. In 1956, it was reorganized under
Chapter X of the bankruptcy act and in 1960 the
operation ceased and the clock manufacturing facilities
were sold on March 22 24, 1960 at public auction and by
Antique Mantle Clocks