Boylston Antiques is Proud to Offer for Sale
An American Empire Signed Hitchcock Alford Chair C. 1832-1843
A black and gold painted and stenciled, rush-seated American Empire period chair stenciled: “Hitchcock Alford & Co., Hitchcocks-ville, Conn. Warranted”. The “N’s” in both the word “Conn” and “Warranted” are painted backwards. This mishap did not appear in the stencils until 1832, when the company went through receivership and was re-named “Hitchcock Alford & Co.”. Alford was Hitchcock’s brother in law. This company was dissolved in 1843, when Hitchcock started a new chair company in Unionville, CT.
• The rush seat is in wonderful shape.
• The turned and reeded top crest rail has the distinctive Hitchcock pillow shape in the center. The reeding is accented with gold.
• The wide, curving center slat of the back has a classical gold stencil composed of a basket of fruit, bell flowers, poppies and leaves.
• The narrower, lower slat is stenciled with a gold rectangle.
• The back is nicely flaired; the stiles descend in a continuous arch to form the rear legs.
• The rounded stiles are flattened on the front to hold more decorative stenciling of bell flowers.
• The legs and front stretcher are turned and reeded, with the reeding accented in gold and mustard paint.
• The front seat rail is also reeded and accented in gold and mustard paint, with some faint red grain-painting.
• The front legs are rather aggressively bulbous.
• There are fine red lines suggestive of grain painting running throughout the finish of the legs and stiles.
• The crest rail height is 34 1/2” from the floor.
• The seat sits 17 1/2” from the floor.
• The seat is 17 1/2” wide at the front, narrowing to 14 ½” wide at the rear.
• The seat depth is 16 1/2”.
• The crest rail width at the top is 16 ½”.
This chair is in as found condition. The surface patina is nicked, worn and flaked, as expected in a chair approaching 180 years of age. There are some faint white paint splashes on the lower legs. The chair is in reasonably sturdy shape for this delicate style of chair.
This chair may be picked up in Boylston, MA.
We can arrange for delivery within 100 miles
Please e-mail for a delivery estimate with your location and particulars.
All items are sold "as is" and all sales are final. This is an antique piece of furniture; small nicks and scratches are part of the beauty of an antique and are not described unless significant.
Please ask any questions prior to offering to purchase.