An unusual antique wooden dog carrier, by A. Backus, Jr., & Sons, dating from the early 1900’s and featuring a signed medallion on the front identifying the maker. Absalom Backus, Jr. (1824-1901) and his sons were manufacturers of dog crates and woven boxes in Detroit, MI. Henry N. Backus patented this animal crate in 1902, patent number 698782 – designed for “shipping fine dogs and other valuable animals.” This dog kennel features an arched roof, with a door in the front and a spring-loaded chute above for food (labeled “Dog Biscuit, Water Here, Pull Open to Feed”). The edges of the crate are reinforced with metal; however, this apparently didn’t deter a feisty previous occupant, who appears to have chewed through the crate at the edge of the door, and also managed to remove a few boards from the floor of the cage (pictured). This dog cage measures 28 ¼” wide, 40 ½” long, and 36” tall.
Instruments and Implements