A British Sailor''s Woolwork Picture of a Minatour Class Ironclad, probably H.M.S. Agincourt, Circa 1870. - Earle D. Vandekar - For Sale

A British Sailor''s Woolwork Picture of a Minatour Class Ironclad, probably H.M.S. Agincourt, Circa 1870. - Earle D. Vandekar
Contact Dealer For Price
A Sailor''s Woolie of a Minotaur-Class Ironclad, Probably H.M.S. Agincourt, Circa 1870. The woolie is well made in a long stitch depicting the unusual five masted and double funneled ironclad of the minatour class. ;The sails are depicted in trapunto with thread rigging. ;The ship is depicted with her bow creating a large white wake and her two funnels belching black smoke.. Dimensions: Frame size 20 x 25 inches. Photo #: NH 75984 HMS Agincourt (British Broadside Ironclad, 1868) Photographed after the completion of her 1875-1877 refit, when alternate gunports were enlarged to accommodate larger muzzle-loading rifles. Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation, Washington, D.C. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.Date 1877? Source :http://history.navy.mil/photos/images/h75000/h75984c.htm Reference: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Agincourt_%281865%29) ;The HMS Agincourt was an ironclad vessel of the British Royal Navy, serving from 1865 through to 1909. The ship was a hybrid sail/steam-powered design, with sails on five masts yet a Maudslay 2-cylinder steam engine as primary propulsion. The type was characterized by her armored iron hull, rigging and twin funnels. The Agincourt was from a family of three ships in the Minotaur-class that included the HMS Minotaur and the HMS Northumberland. Armament of the HMS Agincourt in 1868 consisted of 4 x 9" main guns supplemented by an additional 24 x 7" cannons, both styles of rifled muzzle-loading types. She was re-armed in 1875 to carry 17 x 9" main guns (still of the muzzle-loading variety) and 2 x 20-pounder cannons, these being of smoothbore type. Her complement remained consistent throughout her career and was made up of 800 personnel, though about 700 could be used in emergencies. Her armor was 5 inches thick at the belt with up to 10 inches of teak backing. HMS Agincourt was one of three Minotaur class ironclads, the sistership of HMS Minotaur and a near sister to HMS Northumberland. She was a fully rigged ship with a steam engine and an armoured iron hull and was launched in 1865. Agincourt''s original name when laid down at Birkenhead was HMS Captain. Construction proceeded well and, with her name changed to Agincourt, she was launched and floated out of dry dock in March 1865. She was commissioned in June 1868, her first assigned task being the towing of a floating dock from England to Madeira, in company with her near sister HMS Northumberland. After successfully bringing the dock to Madeira, Agincourt worked up and joined the battle fleet. Her immense size and power earned her pride of place in the squadrons to which she was attached, and she was almost always taken up as a flagship by the presiding admirals. From 1869 to 1873 she wore the flag of the Admiral second-in-command of the Channel Fleet, with her sister Minotaur serving as the Fleet''s flagship. It was during this assignment that she suffered a near-catastrophe when, in 1871, she grounded at Pearl Rock, near Gibraltar, and nearly sank. Following repairs she once more flew the second-in-command''s flag until 1873, when her sister Minotaur was taken in hand for a refit, and for the next two years she served as flagship in the Channel, relinquishing that role in 1875 when Minotaur rejoined the fleet. After another two years'' good service, Agincourt was paid off in 1877 for re-armament, trading her outdated muzzle loading guns for new breach-loading ones. The following year, with her new armament, she became part of the Particular Service Squadron which passed through the Dardanelles under the command of Admiral Hornby during the war scare with Russia over their advance towards Constantinople. After those tensions faded, Agincourt returned to the Channel, where she served as second flag until 1889. That year she was again paid off and was subsequently held in reserve at Portsmouth until 1893, when she was transferred to Portland for use as a training ship. During her active career Agincourt was the flagship of no less than fifteen admirals, some of whom were among the most notable figures of Victorian naval history. Agincourt, now renamed Boscawen III, would serve twelve years at Portland. In 1905 she was moved to Harwich and renamed once again, this time to Ganges II. After four years at Harwich, Ganges II made her final journey, to Sheerness, in 1909. After her arrival at Sheerness the old ship was systematically stripped, and converted into a coal hulk known simply as C.109, much like HMS Warrior''s career as an oil jetty at Pembroke. Unlike Warrior, however, Agincourt was not destined to be rescued and restored to her former glory; after five ignominious decades as what Oscar Parkes called "a grimy, dilapidated and incredibly shrunken relic" of her former self, she was scrapped in 1960. October of 1861, launched in 1865 and completed in June of 1867. ;

Antique Textiles
Antique Textile Artwork
email   facebook   twitter
Seller Details :
Earle Vandekar of Knightsbridge Inc.
P.O. Box 55
Maryknoll
New York-10545
USA
Contact Details :
Email : paul@vandekar.com
Phone : 212-308-2022

Go To Vendor Page
ITEM IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
« Back
Related Items:

Find