Magnificent Federal Country Mahogany Lunar Dial Tall Case Clock Circa 1820 - For Sale
Magnificent Federal Country Mahogany Lunar Dial Tall Case Clock Circa 1820
is proud to present
This Magnificent Federal Country Mahogany Lunar Dial Tall Case Clock Circa 1820.
This 7 ft. 3 ½” tall solid flame mahogany case is nicely proportioned. It stands on bracket feet.
• broken-arch scrolled swan’s neck pediment.
• Rear of bonnet features serpentine curved molding.
• Fully turned and brass stop fluted bonnet columns ending in turned brass capitals flank the bonnet door.
• The bonnet door is tombstone-topped, fitted with glass surrounded by a mahogany veneered frame.
• The door opens to reveal a painted dial with Arabic numerals. Spandrel ornamentations of hand painted pink flowers on green ground adorn each of the 4 spandrel areas.
• A lunar dial is inset above the face with wonderful, hand-painted moon faces and sailing ships.
• The wrought iron clock hands are elegantly filigreed.
• The pendulum bob is lead with a brass face and a V-groove at the top where it is attached to the arm. This is an American attribute.
• The base is surmounted by a bead molded box that is stepped in from the front panel. The surface of the box is a nicely figured veneer.
• The waist is long and narrow. It is fitted with a solid mahogany door surrounded by a bead molding. The door top features a serpentine arch.
• This is an 8 day movement with chimes on the hour. It also has a second or minute hand dial inset into the face. The clock has been restored and serviced by a professional horologist and both time and chimes are in working condition. Winding key is with clock.
• The finish on this clock displays an excellent patina.
• Waist door has inset lock.
• Gong strike.
• Inscription on back plate of dial reads “Walker & Hughes”. These were Birmingham, England, clock dial makers active between 1811 – 1835. American clock makers frequently purchased English clock dials.
87 1/2 inches high
17 1/2 inches wide
11 ½ inches deep
• This clock may be picked up in Boylston, MA. Shipping can be arranged for destinations beyond pick-up range.
Condition – Panel on the front of the base has been re-glued somewhat off-center to the left facing (see photo). Side panel of Bonnet has an age crack. Bonnet base right side facing has a chip above the waist cornice molding. Serpentine curved rear molding right side facing has a chip at the top. Upper hinge on door may have been replaced, as it does not match the lower hinge. Key for waist door is missing.
All items are sold "as is". This is an antique piece of furniture; small nicks and scratches are part of the beauty of an antique and are not described unless significant.
Please ask any questions prior to offering to purchase.