A Sailor''s Woolwork Picture of ''The Black Prince'', The Woolie circa 1860-70. - Earle D. Vandekar - For Sale

A Sailor''s Woolwork Picture of ''The Black Prince'', The Woolie circa 1860-70. - Earle D. Vandekar
Contact Dealer For Price
A British Sailor''s Woolie of H.M.S. Black Prince, Circa 1860-70 ;Below the woolwork ship there is a silk band which reads H.M.S. Black Prince within a ropework band and below Prince of Wales Feathers below to the left there reads 41 Guns and to the right Length 419 FT. The woolie created using a close chain stitch depicts the ship with the unseen sun setting behind it, the suns rays reflecting off the water. Dimensions: Frame size 22 x 32 ½ inches. Literature: See illustration for January, "Woolies: Sailors'' Embroidered Folk Art Calendar," 2000. Reference: ;(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Black_Prince_%281861%29) HMS Black Prince, launched 27 February 1861, was the third ship of that name to serve with the British Royal Navy. She was the world''s second ocean-going iron-hulled armoured warship, following her sister ship, HMS Warrior in the two-ship Warrior class. For a brief period the two ships were the most powerful warships in the world, being virtually impregnable to the naval guns of the time. Rapid advances in naval technology left Black Prince and her sister obsolete within a short time, however, and she spent more time in reserve and training roles than in first-line service. Built by Robert Napier & Sons in Govan, Glasgow, her completion was delayed until September 1862 by a drydock accident at Greenock during outfitting. Once in service, Black Prince was assigned to the Channel Fleet until 1866, then spent a year as flagship on the Irish coast. Overhauled and rearmed in 1867-68, she became guardship on the River Clyde. The routine of that duty was interrupted in 1869 when she and Warrior towed a large floating drydock from the Azores to Bermuda. Black Prince was again refitted in 1874-75 and rejoined the Channel Fleet for a tour as flagship of that force''s second-in-command. Later in the decade she crossed the Atlantic to visit Canada. In reserve from 1878, and reclassified as an armoured cruiser during much of that period, she was reactivated periodically to take part in annual fleet exercises. Black Prince became a harbour training ship in 1896, stationed at Queenstown, Ireland. She was renamed Emerald in 1903. In 1910 she was taken to Plymouth for use in the training facility there under the name Impregnable III, and sold for scrapping in 1923. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_class_battleship) The two-ship Warrior class was a revolutionary British Royal Navy battleship design of the mid 19th century. They were the second type of ocean going iron-clad warships ever constructed, after the French Gloire. Initially, they were classed as frigates, armed with 40 × 68 pdr (31 kg) guns. This was modified during construction to 10 × 110 pdrs (50 kg), 26 × 68 pdrs (31 kg), and 4 × 70 pdrs (32 kg). Both ships were refitted and rearmed in 1867

Antique Textiles
Antique Textile Artwork
email   facebook   twitter
Seller Details :
Earle D. Vandekar of Knightsbridge Inc.
P.O. Box 55
Maryknoll
New York-10545
USA
Contact Details :
Email : paul@vandekar.com
Phone : 212-308-2022

Go To Vendor Page
« Back
Related Items:

Find