Nymphenburg Hand Colored Doves Figurines
The Nymphenburg Porcelain Manufactory (in German: Porzellanmanufaktur Nymphenburg), manufacturer of Nymphenburg porcelain, is situated in the Nymphenburg Palace in Munich, capital of Bavaria, and since the mid-eighteenth century has been manufacturing porcelain of high artistic value.
After his accession in 1745 Maximilian III Joseph, Prince-Elector of Bavaria, commanded the establishment of manufacturing companies in order to bail out the state finances. From 1747 attempts were made to manufacture porcelain and at the end of that year the former Neudeck Castle in the area now the Munich suburb of Au-Haidhausen was made available for that purpose. Up to 1754 the experiments were a miserable failure and lost considerable amounts of money, but in that year the efforts to manufacture porcelain finally began to succeed. In 1755 the factory received its first commission from the Bavarian court and in 1756 came the first success in painting the porcelain in color. The management of the jurist and entrepreneur Count Sigmund von Haimhausen from 1758 ensured that the factory was placed on a sound commercial footing. By 1761 it had moved to the Nymphenburg Palace, where it still is today.
Among the great artists who followed Bustelli were Dominikus Auliczek the elder (1734—1804) and Johann Peter Melchior. A great promoter of the works was Ludwig I who gave them many commissions. Particular favorites were dinner services with copies of famous paintings or with Bavarian landscapes in an antique style.
In 1822 Friedrich von Garner, the fashionable architect, was appointed artistic director of the factory. In the middle of the 19th century its financial position deteriorated to the extent that in 1856 all artistic production was halted and it was decide to privatise the factory. It was leased out for the first time in 1862 and its focus shifted to the production of technical, medical and sanitary porcelain goods.
In 1887 Albert Bäuml (1855—1929) took a lease of the factory. His aim was to regain the previous high artistic level of the factory’s products: it was Bäuml, for example, who “rediscovered” Bustelli. This aim was realized at around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries and besides historical copies, elegant Jugendstil ceramics were developed.
Since 1975 the factory has been leased by the Bavarian government to the Wittelsbach Compensation Fund (Wittelsbacher Ausgleichsfond).
The Nymphenburg Palace also accommodates the Nymphenburg Porcelain Museum (the Bäuml Collection). Guided tours through the factory can be arranged by prior appointment. Nymphenburg Palace is known to have been the working place of artists and sculptors like Hanns Goebl, Tuttle, Karmer and Franz Anton Bustle.
These porcelain figurines were produced in Germany by Nymphenburg in 1945. It has two marks, one green shield in over-glaze and one impressed shield. The model number 899 is impressed in the base. There are letters LTS impressed in the base which are likely the initials of the artist who modeled the porcelain. This is an impressive piece of work. The detail in the porcelain shows fine artistry. It is beautifully hand painted. It truly portrays this proud bird in all his splendor. This peacock is a rare find in excellent condition. The talented artist of this magnificent work is Luise Terletzki Scherf LTS.
Each one is 5.50 inches tall and 5.25 inches wide at the widest point, signed on the base with the Nymphenburg trademark in green, WESTERN GERMANY.
Antique Porcelain & Pottery