Set of 6 Queen's Beasts to Honor Queen Elizabeth II Coronation - For Sale
Set of 6 Queen's Beasts to Honor Queen Elizabeth II Coronation
• The Queen's Beasts are heraldic statues depicting the genealogy of Queen Elizabeth II.
• In 1952, in preparation for the Queen's Coronation, the famous English sculptor and Royal Academician
James Woodford was commissioned to create ten new beasts similar to the King's Beasts at Hampton Court
which stand six feet tall and are carved in stone.
• The original Queen's Beast's were cast in plaster to adorn Westminster Abbey for the event.
• These Beasts are miniatures of the originals, also cast in plaster, purchased at Solomon's Mines, Nassau Bahamas in 1955.
• They are in good condition, no cracks or chips, but do have a few instances of the paint flaking off,
i.e., back of the Griffin's neck on the left.
• Each measures 6¾ inches tall; each base has the maker's mark: "James Woodward RA Crown Copyright Margot"
• Included in the set are:
- The Black Bull of Clarence
- The Falcon of Plantagenet
- The Griffin of Edward III
- The Yale of Beaufort
- The Red Dragon of Wales
- The White Greyhound of Richmond
• The cost of shipping via Fed-Ex is not included in the listed price.