A group of 32 terracotta miniature heads from figures which depicted pregnant women. The figures were planted with seeds as a votive offering to the goddess of agriculture. Most bear applique eyes typical of the area, applique details and some bear traces of red pigment.
Normal damages and losses. Mounted in a box frame.
Size: ½” – 1 ¾” (1,3 - 4,4 cm).
Collected in 1950´s. Each with individual certificate of authenticity dated 1963.
The Chupicuara belonged to a village that was located on the banks of the Rio Lerma, an area at the state of Guanajuato, Mexico. Little is known of the history of this Pre-Columbian town. The first encounter with the objects and sites of the Chupicuara happened after 1946 , due to the construction of a dam. Currently this area is completely flooded due to the dam.
According to several authors, it is estimated that this village flourished between 500 a. C. and 300 d. C. The inhabitants were farmers who lived along the river. They also practiced hunting, and fishing.
Chupícuaro was a major center of pottery recognized as one of the best in Mesoamerica. Its ceramic artifacts had multiple colors and shapes, some with geometric designs. The main theme were deities, motherhood, people, and her ornaments, animals and plants.
The inhabitants of Chupícuaro practiced a cult of the dead marked by graves with trophy skulls, obsidian points, figures, shell ornaments, necklaces and beads, bone tools and musical instruments. All these artifacts were discovered during excavations in 1950.
Ancient Central America & Mexico