» Antiques  

Antique Glossary

Search By Alphabetic Order

A pretty and small writing desk with a sloping front, usually supported by ornate legs, with a series of drawers down one side, and false drawers on the opposite side. So called because the first one was ordered by one Capt. John Davenport in the late 1790s. Some examples have a writing surface which slides forwards as opposed to a fall-front , and quite a few harlequin examples exist. In the US, this is a term for a sort of sofa, or day bed, specifically with a head rest.