» Antiques  

Antique Glossary

Search By Alphabetic Order

A knob or spire-like ornamental projection finishing off an upright member, pediment or any vertical projection. Commonly carved in a number of forms, from architectural forms like columns, to animals and human figures, When found on furniture, it's basically a small, turned projection. A downward-pointing finial is called a pendant (See drop-finial ). It's also a term applied to silver spoons, when it describes the turning or pattern found at the opposite end of the shaft (or handle) to the bowl.