» Antiques  

Antique Glossary

Search By Alphabetic Order

A term derived from the French word 'godron', which means 'ruffle', it's a carved decorative edge moulding , often found on the handles and rims of C18th silver, which is composed of a series of raised convex curves. In furniture, the term applies to an ornamental carved edge of tapered, curving and alternating concave and convex sections, usually diverging obliquely either side of a central point. This decoration is also found set square to the edge, in which case, on furniture, it's called Nulling.