Boylston Antiques is Proud to Offer for Sale
An 1856 Spectacular Wall Map of Middlesex Co., MA, by Henry Francis Walling, Surveyor, published by Smith & Bumstead, 62”x60” Orig.
A linen-backed 19th century wall map of Middlesex Co., MA, with full period hand-color. Middlesex County is located just east of Boston and includes Charlestown, Cambridge, Somerville, Lexington and Concord. Henry F. Walling, civil engineer and topographer, conducted surveys in the 1850’s of all Massachusetts counties, including Middlesex.
• Map is entitled: “Map of Middlesex County, Massachusetts”.
• Map is from actual survey by Henry Francis Walling, Boston.
• Map is published by Smith & Bumstead, 106 Washington St., Boston.
• Produced by lithography on sheets of paper mounted on a linen backing; original color.
• Original rods.
• Bottom Roller with acorn finials is 66” long.
• 7 engravings of local scenes include:
o The Elm in Cambridge under which General Washington took command of the Continental forces in 1775.
o The monuments at Lexington and Concord.
o The Court House and Town Hall in Concord.
o The State Normal School in Framingham.
o Dr. Howe’s Retreat for Nervous Invalids in Pepperell.
• There are 70 inset maps of county towns and villages, including:
• Inset Tables:
o Business Directory of Lowell
o Business Directory of Cambridge
o Business Directory of Somerville
o Business Directory of Charlestown
o Table of Distances
• Inset Geological Map of Middlesex County.
All items are sold "as is". This is antique map; small nicks and scratches are part of the beauty of an antique and are not described unless significant. The condition of this map is generally good. There is some water staining on the upper parts of the map (see photos). There is some minor flaking and fraying along the upper right margin.
This map may be picked up in Boylston, MA.
We can deliver this map to areas within a 100 mile radius. Email for a delivery estimate.
Shipping can be arranged for destinations beyond our local delivery area. E-mail for a shipping estimate. CONUS shipping will be via USPS Priority Mail Hold for Pick-Up.
Please ask any questions prior to offering to purchase.
Antique Paper Items