ANTIQUE HICKORY GOLF CLUB, J.H. TAYLOR. - For Sale
ANTIQUE HICKORY GOLF CLUB, J.H. TAYLOR.
A J.H Taylor Autograph Re. No. 303868/OP Mashie Niblick. Just below the leather grip on the hickory shaft is stamped Cann & Taylor with a J.H Taylor signature.
The face with short line face markings and dots down the sides. An original club with polished leather grip.
John Henry "J.H." Taylor was best known for his fine British Open play, winning his first Open in 1894 and went on to win it a further four times. His fine reputation enabled his club making partnership with George Cann to become a very successful one. He joined forces with George Cann whilst he was professional at Winchester to start the club making business in 1894. Over the years the branded J.H.Taylor Autograph Model clubs were very popular. Taylor's registered trademark was in use from 1895 - 1930.
Taylor was born in Devon and at the age of 11 started work as a caddy and general labourer at the nearby Westward Ho GC, also known as the Royal North Devon Golf Club. He later joined the green keeper's staff, a move which laid the foundation for his skill as a course designer later in life. At 19, he turned professional and worked at several clubs ( Burnham & Berrow 1890 - 1892, Royal Winchester 1892 - 1896, Royal Wimbledon 1896 - 1899 ) eventually settling at Royal Mid Surrey until 1938. Taylor played golf all his life and at the age of 55 contested the 1924 Open. One of his greatest achievements was the formation of the PGA.
As well as a champion golfer Taylor was a member of the Great Triumvirate of the sport, together with Harry Vardon and James Braid.
Instruments and Implements Antique Fishing & Sports