Boylston Antiques is Proud to Offer for Sale
A Set of 6 Chippendale Style Mahogany Needlepoint Chairs 1st Q 20th C.
A set of six Chippendale Style Mahogany Ribbon Back Dining Chairs, 5 Side and 1 Arm, with needlepoint seats.
• The 6 needlepoint seats are done in lovely complimentary patterns, each one slightly different but composing a harmonious set.
• The needlepoint background is linen white with a floral wreath motif composed of rose and green with touches of magenta, blue and yellow.
• The deep, upholstered sprung seats are padded with horsehair and studded with wide-headed upholstery nails along each chair rail.
• The mahogany frames are reasonably sturdy; the 3 back slats are pierced and carved in the famous ribbon design and exhibit a deep, rich surface patina.
• The front legs and chair rails are fluted.
• The arms of the armchair are serpentine, terminating in scrolled hand-holds.
• There is a single stretcher between the front and back legs, a single stretcher between the 2 back legs and a center stretcher between the 2 side stretchers. The center stretcher of almost all of the chairs has been considerably chewed by dog teeth.
• The crest rail height is 40” from the floor.
• The seat sits 19” from the floor.
• The seat is 22” wide.
• The seat depth is 17”.
• The width of the arms on the armchair is 26 ¼”.
These chairs are in reasonable condition. The surface patina is nicked and worn, as expected in chairs approaching 100 years of age. The chairs are in sturdy shape for this age of chair. The seats exhibit some discoloration. 4 of the chairs are missing the fluted front surface board on the front seat rail. 3 of the chairs are missing the left and right side fluted surface boards of the chair rails. (See photos). With the heavy upholstery, the chair rails are not very noticeable.
These chairs may be picked up in Boylston, MA. Pick up expected within 14 days of close of auction; items not picked up within 30 days are subject to forfeiture.
We can arrange for delivery within 100 miles
Please e-mail for a delivery estimate with your location and particulars.
All items are sold "as is". These are antique pieces of furniture; small nicks and scratches are part of the beauty of an antique and are not described unless significant.
Please ask any questions prior to offering to purchase.