Set of Eight French Louis XVI Style Rope Carved Dining Chairs
Retailed by Albert Grosfeld (Grosfeld's) of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, c. 1920-40
Item # 120010RYP22
See more details of this piece at:
This is an absolutely gorgeous set of French Louis XVI style dining chairs is entirely crafted and carved by hand during a time when furniture manufacture was highly machine oriented; as such, these would have been prohibitively priced during the first quarter of the 20th Century. This is a remarkable set was either crafted by or imported by Albert Grosfeld Furniture and was marketed towards a very discerning and affluent clientele. The deep and impressive rope carved molding is indicative of a precise and practiced hand, the thin reed following through the rope around each section. The round seat backs frames are exposed, showing the middle cross bar tenoned into the top and bottom, the back joints secured with pinned tenons, double pins at the seat. The seat is of excellent proportions, comfortable and broad, the rounded front flanked by applied rosette floral carvings (two absent) over the tapered ring-turned and fluted legs. The underside of each seat is exposed, the lower webbing and springs removed from each chair (currently making them non-functional, as to sit in these would probably result in falling through the webbing); at the back of most chairs, an original stamped metal label reads: "GROSFELD'S Chicago, New York, Los Angeles".
This is a wonderful set in outstanding condition. Difficult to find with this level of quality in the carvings, these are frequently sought after by collectors of Grosfeld pieces and hold their value very well. Crafted with precision, they are incredibly sturdy and strong throughout; if well cared for, this set will last long beyond our lifetimes. Carved in the classic Louis XVI design that has been replicated since the middle of the 18th Century, these chairs simply never go out of style - they will certainly be an heirloom your children will cherish in the future.
Measurements: 20 1/2" wide x 21" deep x 37 1/4" high; 19 1/2" high to seat
Visually Outstanding Condition
1. Webbing and springs are absent from each chair seat - they will need to be re-sprung and webbed or reupholstered with a solid seat board prior to use.
2. Fine original glowing finish throughout; overall outstanding condition, notwithstanding the minor dings and abrasions typical with age and use, including scratches (all visible in the images)
3. Green damask is stained in spots throughout each chair.
4. Several chairs have the original stamped metal plate from retailer (some are absent).
5. One chair has a chip to the inside of one ankle and is missing the front right rosette carving.
6. One chair is missing the rosette on the left corner of the left front leg.
7. Very sturdy and strong in all joints.
Antique Tables & Dining Sets