John Quincy Adams autographed 1828 Mississippi land grant for 79 acres. An original land grant, partially printed on parchment, signed by both President John Quincy Adams and George W. Graham, Commissioner of the General Land Office, dated January 1, 1828; together with an attached record of recording in the public records of Monroe County, Mississippi, dating from 1917. Size: 9.5" x 15.5". Condition: Folding creases, and missing the top right corner, but not affecting any printed or written portions. Adams' signature is in a strong dark ink; a crease runs through the 'G' of Graham's signature; some light toning at the top center and along the edges of the parchment; retaining the original wax and paper seal of the United States. George Graham was Secretary of War during the presidencies of Madison and Munroe. The Land Act of 1820 reduced the per acre purchase price from $1.65 to $1.25, but also abolished the credit system whereby settlers could purchase in installments, rather requiring that full payment be made at the time of purchase. Mississippi became the twentieth state on December 10, 1817. The document reads, in part: "Whereas Caesar Snr, Venus, Harry, William, Emmie, Cinthy, Nicy, Adam, Green, & Caesar Jnr., Free persons of Colour, Assignees of 'John Smith', have deposited in the General Land Office of the United States a certificate of the Register of the Land Office at Jackson, Mississippi, whereby it appears that full payment has been made by the said John Smith, according to the provisions of the Acts of Congress of the 24th of April 1820 entitled 'An act making further provision for the sale of the Public Lands', for the East half of the South West quarter of Section Eight in township sixteen south of range Eighteen West in the District of Choctaw, Mississippi, containing Seventy-nine acres and ninety-four hundredths of an acre ..."
Antique Paper Items