» Antiques  

Antique Glossary

Search By Alphabetic Order

A term derived from the French word 'godron', which means 'ruffle', it's a carved decorative edge moulding , often found on the handles and rims of C18th silver, which is composed of a series of raised convex curves. In furniture, the term applies to an ornamental carved edge of tapered, curving and alternating concave and convex sections, usually diverging obliquely either side of a central point. This decoration is also found set square to the edge, in which case, on furniture, it's called Nulling.

See Festoon

A type of drop leaf table which gets its name from the "gates" (a frame of legs and stretchers ) which support the leaves when open.

The style period from 1760-1820. The rise of the wealthy middle class resulted in a huge increase the furniture industry; thus, more examples of late Georgian furniture survive than from any prior period. Styles from this period include Sheraton, Hepplewhite, Regency, and Adam (see definitions).

A mixture made of Plaster of Paris (whiting) and glue size applied to wood so as to provide a decorative surface which can be painted, gilded or lacquered . The surface can either be smooth or carved/moulded in low-relief. It's often used on picture frames.

Principally a term applied to Gothic architecture, this is a style of furniture design which similarly shows a lot of curved and pointed arches, resplendent with embellishments.

A term applied to both the technique, and the decoration of a surface with repeated small carved-out semi-circular depressions. This decoration is often found on oak furniture.

Sometimes referred to as a Grecian Key, this is a carved Classical geometric decoration resembling a maze, and repeated in bands. It's composed of interlocking straight and right-angled lines.

See dishing .