» Antiques  

Antique Glossary

Search By Alphabetic Order

In Classical architecture, which is reflected in classic furniture, it's the horizontal moulding above a series of capitals, which is the lowest part of an entablature . It can also be the lowest part of a frieze . Most commonly, it's the moulded frame surrounding a door, window, mirror or picture frame. They can sometimes be embellished with with projections of shoulders or ears at the corners